Invitation to apply for being a member of the Supervisory Board of United Netherlands, Nijmegen
United Netherlands is looking for a new member for its Supervisory Board. The position is unpaid; reasonable expenses can be reimbursed. The position is for a minimum of two years and a maximum of four years.
About United Netherlands
United Netherlands is an internationally oriented, student-led organization that focuses on the world of international relations and diplomacy. We aim to create a platform where talented, ambitious and motivated young people challenge each other to develop their full potential as global citizens. Within this network of driven young people from diverse backgrounds, gaining skills and knowledge is key in preparation for global challenges to come.
Examples of our activities and programs include the accredited 10 EC United Nations and Multilateral Diplomacy course, and its corresponding delegation to Oxford University and Harvard University Model UN conferences; the Public Speaking Program; the High School Program.
Since its inception in 2004, the drive for excellence has never faded.
Organizational set-up and position of the Supervisory Board within United Netherlands
The United Netherlands Foundation has a board consisting of a group of university students that is responsible for the daily execution of United Netherlands’ programs and operations. At all times, the board works towards realizing United Netherlands’ purpose and contributes to achieving it.
United Netherlands’ board is supervised by the Supervisory Board, and the board receives formal and informal advice from United Netherlands’ Advisory Board.
The Supervisory Board consists of three to four members, including a chair(wo)man. The roles and areas of attention that require specific qualities or expertise are shared between the members of the Supervisory Board.
General duties of the Supervisory Board
The Supervisory Board supervises the realization of the objectives of United Netherlands, the functioning of the board and the general course of affairs within the organization. The relationship between the Supervisory Board and the board is characterized as supervisory, positive and constructive.
Supervision takes place with the use of an annual plan and annual report, bimonthly meetings, and regular reporting. Additionally, the ultimate responsibility for recruitment of board members and financial control lies with the Supervisory Board. Supervision is based on the long-term objectives and welfare of the foundation.
In this context, the Supervisory Board monitors:
- strategy and the risks associated with the activities of the organization;
- financial reporting;
- compliance with laws and regulations;
- realization of the (statutory) objectives of the organization;
- relationship with United Netherlands’ main sponsor, the Radboud University;
- relationship with other key stakeholders, such as: MUN conferences, aMUNli, high schools;
- continuity of the management of the organization and succession.
Finally, in the context of continuity, the Supervisory Board is also part of the final round of annual interviews for incoming boards.
Our next member of the Supervisory Board:
- is capable of fulfilling the supervisory duties in an independent and original manner;
- has the knowledge, skills, or network to advise or assist the board;
- is responsible, dependable and motivated to play a (pro)active role within the Supervisory Board;
- is a team player and capable of inspiring and motivating others;
- is available for at least 16 hours a month;
- is prepared to be physically present at bimonthly meeting at least six times a year;
- preferably has demonstrable financial knowledge and skills;
- preferably has demonstrable affinity with student organizations, such as United Netherlands.
Own development goals
UNL is an organization focused on learning & development. Although Supervisory Board members are expected to bring (experience, broader context), it is important they also get the opportunity to pursue their own learning goals. This should also increase tenure and continuity. Applicants are therefore urged to consider their own expectations and learning objectives and share those with the Supervisory Board.
For more information you can contact the Supervisory Board for the attention of Frank van de Wolde. Interested parties are requested to send their CV and motivation to email@example.com. The deadline for sending in an application is October 15th, 2020.